Friday, December 12, 2008

In the Beginning...

As this year comes to an end, I've decided to start a project for myself. I'm going to track my spending (and lack of spending) over the next year. Since July I've been reading, studying, and even dabbling in couponing and rebating. I've actually done a pretty good start but I have in no way tracked how much I've spent or saved. Thus, this is my self improve project for 2009!!!

First thing I need to do is figure out what my true income/liquid assets, recurring expenses such as utilities, traveling gas, etc., and need base expense are. That sounds easily enough, right? Somehow its not coming to me that easily. That's one of the reasons I'm starting this blog ahead of time; before the actual 2009. I need to get a grasp of where I am financially both incoming and outgoing.

In general, I'm a single mom of 3 boys: Crisco 18 soon to be 19 and graduating this year, Wes/Andrew (its the name game with him; his name depends on his mood) he's 14, and little bit who's 11. They eat like an army constantly so groceries will be the area I will concentrate the most on in cutting costs. I commute to work - about 44 miles and work for the State which at this point is in a Budget Crisis so my income has been froze for the past year and will be until July when it may be either cut somewhat or well...I don't want to think the worst. Also, I'm a part time student working on my IT degree so I do have some expenses there.

Overall, I just need to spend the next couple of weeks going over what's coming in and what's going out. I plan to document my next year on this blog so I can look back and learn from it and possibly even get the input of anyone who stumbles across here and of course, share what I learn on the way!

Wish me luck!
Gertie

No comments: