Monday, February 9, 2009

Green on a Budget & Organic Grocery Deals



Yesterday was a wonderful day around here. After weeks of sub-zero temps I heard birds singing and the warm breeze blowing. It put me in mind of getting my garden ready. I mean, not actually going out and digging it up, but rather planning what I’m going to grow. A couple of years ago, I started growing a decent size garden to can and freeze veggies. It made a huge difference in my grocery budget but it also put my mind at ease that we were eating no pesticides or chemically enhanced foods (in other words, the only hormones ragging in our house are the teenagers) I have a huge area to have as big of a garden as I want but you can have one any size you want or are able to. Even those living in a small area with little room can have a window seal garden. But if that’s not your thing (for example, if your thumb isn’t green in any way, shape, or form) there are other options to turn to. If you’re looking into the whole concept to “Go green on a budget”, you should take a trip over to Organic Grocery Deals. They have a great committee of supporters over there helping to make the transition from Hormone induced to Green a lot easier. Some of their forums include great tops such as gardening, eating in season, organic and natural product information, coupon trading (yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus and he does accept “green” Coupons), green living tips, book recommendations, organic news, deals, more. It’s a great place to start and get help and ideas for going green in a relaxing (read - non-judgmental) environment. It's great to have a place to turn to for answers and support when you first start out on a new way of doing anything especially something like learning to be both Greener and healthier while staying within our ever increasingly tighter budgets.

No comments: